Saturday, November 21, 2009

Desperate with my Practicum

I know that it has been a long time since I last postd something to the blog, but I have a problem that I have nothing new to add about my practicum. The organization where I'm working (AFTE) is not positive or supporting at all. I had a problem with them from the very begining that I didn't understand well what they wanted me to do. I was assigned a task, and after I did it, it came up to be inefficient because that wasn't what they wanted me to do exactly. They were not direct or specific in explaining the task for me, and I didn't have specified task or job describtion. The big deal was the time frame through which I received any reply from them. It was like two weeks till they replied to me or gave any comments about the work I have done, and this reply came after a text message I sent to the executive director asking for any response. He told me that he had no time during the past two weeks to reply to me "because the organization was preparing for and runnignng a campaign, and he was too busy". The issue for me then was the unidentified job describtion I had, the very long time through which he replied, and my exclusion from working in the organization I'm supposed to be part of where a campaign was there and I wasn't part of or even knew about it. However, the manager there told me that everything will be fixed, and that he would clarify exactly what they want me to do. I went then to the office of the organization, and I met the manager who gave me a new task after telling me exactly what was wrong with my output.

I started over to do my new task. It was to do a research about international organizations that can offer support to AFTE and have mutual or joint projects. I made the research, and I gave a list of 12 names of international organizations, their descriptio, contacts, and website. I called the manager after sending him the stuff through mail, and he told me that he will check them, and contact me soon to set a time for a meeting and to move to the next point. Around two weeks or more passed, and I didn't receive a reply. I sent him a mail asking for a reply and I'm still waiting.

The problem is that my tasks are not really different from class room experience. I'm doing research, not envolved in real activities, and I didn't know or see anybody there except the manager. I told him that I can participate in working on thier magazine "Hepatia" after being done with my first task, but again I receive no reply.

I'm very desperate now. I was totally excited about the practicum, and I felt that it would be an excellent experience as I will see real life situations in development. Now, I don't have the same enthusiasm, and I fear losing points.

1 comment:

  1. I think it's interesting that so many of the interns at DSC have had this same issue with their NGOs.

    ReplyDelete